Saturday, April 7, 2012

1:1 iPads in High School Math

     Spring Break is about to come to a close and I am excited to go back to work.  I have spent the break learning through blogs, webinars, podcasts, and twitter.  I have so many ideas I want to try before my students leave for summer break - many with iPads and Apple TV.
Rover App
     I have had 1:1 computers in my classroom for the past several years and the students have used them to complete projects, assignments, and reinforce ideas.  While I am an avid Apple fan (I camped out to get the new one :D ), I have been hesitant to migrate to iPads due to the lack of flash capabilities.  I teach dual enrollment math.  All of the students' assignments are online and most require Adobe Flash Player.  However, over the break I investigated Rover.  While Rover has mixed reviews with noted concerns regarding bandwidth, the two web-based services we use worked fine.  
     Excited about the possibilities, I have generated a mind map about the various ways iPads could be integrated into the current classroom structure.  
Created with bubbl.us
This preliminary list is by no means exhaustive.  In fact, I know I am only scratching the surface; it doesn't include project based learning activities, vodcasting, blogging, or wikis. 
     I have access to three iPads and I am installing Apple TV this weekend.  I plan to begin experimenting Monday.  If it works as I hope it will, I will just need to convince IT to let us try 1:1 iPads next year.  Fingers crossed! 

No comments: